Missouri Citizens for the Arts invites YOU to participate in THE LETTER PROJECT:
What is the Letter Project?
The Letter Project, led by Missouri Citizens for the Arts, is a way for citizens to let Missouri’s Governor Jay Nixon know that they care about the arts! We hope to deliver 500 letters to Governor Nixon, asking for budget funding of the ARTS in our state. Being an Arts Advocate means communicating that you believe the arts are important to your representatives and how to best support the cause.
The Letter Project provides an easy way to state WHY the arts are important:
1. The ARTS generate income for our state.
2. The ARTS enhance our quality of life.
3. The ARTS improve education for our students.
The Letter Project clearly explains HOW Governor Nixon can support the arts:
1. Appropriation of 60% of the non-resident professional Athlete & Entertainers’ (A&E) income tax to Missouri Arts Council ($24.million)
2. 40% distribution of A&E income tax to the Cultural Partners (10% to each Partner)
3. Funding of the Missouri Fine Arts Academy at $750,000
4. Encourage the Missouri State Board of Education to support comprehensive fine arts instruction, 60 minutes per week for all students, & one fine-arts graduation requirement for high school
The Letter Project leaves plenty of room for personalization!
The letter places the arts FIRST by giving you a frame at the top of the paper to illustrate your talents. If you are a visual artist – use the space to draw an image! It can be a personal representation of your favorite things about Missouri, a colorful self-portrait, or whatever you think will catch the eye of Governor Nixon.
Not a visual artist? Are you a musician, writer, or arts appreciator? Fill the space with music notes, thought bubbles, zig-zags, etc. Anything to make your letter stand out!
Involve friends, family, organizations to which you belong, anyone who cares about the ARTS!!
CLICK ON “Revised Letter Project Form (3)” link below to print out the form letter. There are 2 letters on a page: one for you, and one to share with a friend!
You’ll see several lines at the bottom of the sheet for you to share your story, name and address.
When you are finished with your Letter(s), please snail-mail them all by November 7, 2015 to:
Missouri Citizens for the Arts
P.O. Box 187
Eureka, MO 63025
(or scan and email your letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org )