Missouri Citizens for the Arts established the Missouri Arts Advocacy Awards in 1984 to recognize individuals, organizations, and businesses which play a significant role as advocates and participants in fostering the arts.
Missouri Citizens for the Arts Advocacy Award Recipients are recognized for their:
- Strong commitment to fostering the arts in Missouri on both a local and statewide basis.
- Demonstrated leadership in arts advocacy.
- Demonstrated results.
- 1984- State Representative Jim Smith
- 1985- Former Governor Christopher “Kit” Bond
- 1986- Pet, Inc. & Southwestern Bell Corporation
- 1987- Talbot Leland MacCarthy & R. Crosby Kemper
- 1988- State Representative George K. Hoblitzelle & Hallmark Cards, Inc.
- 1989- State Representative Marvin Proffer & Yellow Freight System Foundation
- 1990- Ford Motor Company & Opera Theatre of St. Louis
- 1991- Cynthia H. Schwab & Douglas B. MacCarthy
- 1992- Kansas City Life Insurance & The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis
- 1993- MACAA & Joanne Kohn
- 1994- State Representative Herb Fallert & State Senator Bill McKenna
- 1995- Former Governor Warren Hearnes, State Representative Betty Hearnes, & State Representative Sheila Lumpe
- 1996- Laura B. Estep-Wilch, State Senators William L. Clay, Jr. and Phil B. Curls, & State Representative Lloyd Daniel
- 1997- Dr. James and Vera Olson, State Senator Roseann Bentley, State Representative Charlie Shields and Brenda Shields, & Bruce Coppock
- 1998- Former Governor Mel Carnahan, State Senator Roseann Bentley, State Representatives Vicky Riback Wilson, Joan Bray, & Mary Bland
- 1999- James Lubbock
- 2000-State Representative Emmy McClelland & Dr. Dixie A. Kohn
- 2001-Dance St. Louis & Nick and Diane Knight
- 2002-Kenneth and Nancy Kranzberg & the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
- 2003- Billyo” O’Donnell
- 2004- Representative Otto Bean, Jr.
- 2005- Representative Karen McCarthy
- 2006- Governor Matt Blunt, Senator Chuck Gross, Representative Allen Icet
- 2007- Sharon Beshore, MAAE
- 2008- Rob Baird & Joan Israelite
- 2009- Representative Rachael Storch
- 2010- Julie Bloodworth
- 2012- Carol Gregg
- 2013- Representative Lincoln Hough and Senator Rob Schaaf
- 2018- Representative Kathryn Swan, Senator Denny Hoskins, and Senator Jason Holsman
- 2019 – Representative Dave Muntzel, Representative Kip Kendrick
FREDERICK H. LAAS MEMORIAL AWARD
Missouri Citizens for the Arts remembers the contributions of long time board member, Frederick H. Laas, who passed away in October 2001 after complications from cancer by establishing a Frederick H. Laas Memorial Award. Recruited for MCA from Joplin in 1990, Fred had a long history of commitment to promoting the arts. A board member of the Joplin Community Concert since 1965, and a founding director of the Heartland Opera Theatre, he also helped establish Pro Musica in Joplin. In addition, he had ties to Missouri Southern State College’s International Piano Competition, Jazz in Joplin, and facilitated the founding of the local arts council. Fred worked tirelessly on behalf of the arts in this state. Fred’s contributions to MCA are long lasting, and many have felt his absence, both those of us who had the privilege of working with him in the arts and those who benefited from the quality arts programming he helped provide.
To honor Fred, in 2002 the Frederick H. Laas Memorial Award was established to recognize those within the state who provide artistic opportunities to all, without discrimination of any form. This new award focuses on Fred’s passions:
- Arts Education: Missourians who expose individuals to the arts, opening a creative spark.
- Arts Accessibility: Missourians who provide access to artistic opportunities regardless of gender, age, race, religion, disability, or socio-economic status.
- 2002- Cynthia Schwab
- 2003- Carol North
- 2004-Naoma Powell
- 2005-Shirley and Barnett Helzberg
- 2006- Dr. Barbara Harbach
- 2007-Kimberly Gavin Anderson
- 2008- James Greer
- 2009- Representative Bob Dixon
- 2010- Kansas City Art Institute
- 2013- Jeff Sandquist