2019/2020 State Advocacy Agenda
In FY2018, Missouri Department of Revenue collected nearly $36 million new funds from the income tax on professional non-resident athletes and entertainers who work in Missouri. By statute, 60% is to be allocated to the Missouri Arts Council.
The Non-resident Athletes & Entertainers Tax (A&E Tax) is the personal income tax on professional athletes and entertainers when they play or perform in the State of Missouri. It is collected by the State of Missouri and, by Statute (Section 143.183 RSMo); a designated amount is to be distributed among the following five Cultural Partners: Missouri Arts Council Trust Fund, (60%); Missouri State Library Networking Fund, (10%); Missouri Humanities Council Trust Fund, (10%); Missouri Public Broadcasting Corporation Special Fund, (10%); and the Missouri Historic Preservation Revolving Fund, (10%).
- For FY2020, Missouri Citizens for the Arts requests the Governor and the Legislature appropriate 60% of the non-resident profession athlete and entertainers’ income tax or an estimated $21 million to the Missouri Cultural Trust Fund.
- Missouri Citizens for the Arts also requests the Governor and the Legislature fund the Cultural Partners at 10% required by statute.
- MCA supports the A&E distribution formula for the five Cultural Partners. MCA does not support expanding or revising the distribution formula.
Last year, the Missouri General Assembly appropriated $4.8 million to the Missouri Cultural Trust Fund for FY2019. The Missouri Arts Council utilized these funds to support over 500 arts programs throughout the state of Missouri.
Missouri Citizens for the Arts requests that the Governor and the Legislature support funding for the June, 2020, Missouri Fine Arts Academy at $300,000.
- MFAA is a three-week residential program at Missouri State University for 150 rising high school juniors and seniors who are gifted in the arts.
- MCA encourages the Missouri State Board of Education to support comprehensive fine arts instruction (dance, drama/theatre, music and visual art) in elementary, middle and high schools. MCA and the Missouri Alliance for Arts Education (MAAE) recommend a minimum of 60 minutes of instruction per week for music and 60 minutes of instruction per week for visual art in elementary schools, a minimum of 3,000 minutes of fine arts instruction in middle schools and one-fine arts graduation requirement in high schools, and that all courses are taught by certified fine arts specialists in the appropriate disciplines.
- MCA & MAAE recommends that the Missouri State Board of Education supports the implementation of the Missouri Learning Standards and recognizes the role of arts instruction as an integral part in the effective achievement of these standards.
- MCA & MAAE recommends that DESE continue to employ a full-time Fine Arts Director.
CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS PROJECTS
MCA supports state funding for capital improvement projects for visual and performing arts spaces in Missouri.
If you would like to learn the name and background information of your State Representative and State Senator, please go to the following link, and type in your address and zip code:
ARTS ADVOCACY ACTION ALERT LIST
Make sure you are on Missouri Citizens for the Arts list serve to receive the latest Action Alerts during the legislative session. Know who to write at the right time is key to effective advocacy. MCA’s Governmental Affairs Consultant, Kyna Iman, will keep you informed of the latest action at the State Capitol in Jefferson City. Contact her to sign up: email@example.com
MARK YOUR CALENDARS TO ATTEND CITIZENS DAY AT THE LEGISLATURE ON WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 2019!!
Join arts advocates from across Missouri to advocate on behalf of increased funding for the Missouri Arts Council, Missouri Fine Arts Academy, and other arts-related issues. Regional luncheons will be held for your area legislators, which provide a prime time to meet and educate your representative and senator on the importance of the arts in your community. Watch for upcoming detailed information. Check back soon for registration info!